Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's been a little hectic around here........

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd better get on the ball.  I had wanted to post at least once a week to start with, but things got so busy.  9 weeks' exams, grading papers, posting grades, calling parents, conferencing with students..........and oh, yeah......my son's impending ship-date to Parris Island hovering over me like a giant Eeyore cloud of doom.  Well, I have made it through all of those things.  Actually, I sort of made it through all of those things.  My son left Sunday for boot camp with a stop-over in Montgomery.  I held it together pretty well, crying a little here and there over the weekend and was thinking to myself that this wasn't going to be as hard as I thought.  I thought maybe my oldest moving away a couple of years ago mellowed me out a little.  Boy was I wrong.  I was fine until this morning.  I was even fine last night when he made his first phone call, hollering at us across the miles that he had arrived safely and not to send him any bulky packages or food and he would contact us later.  I was fine when I heard the phone click in the middle of me hollering back, "I love you!"  I even slept fine last night, which hasn't been happening much lately.  This morning when I got up?  That's when it hit.  I made up my mind to push through.  If he could be strong enough to go through boot camp, I could be strong enough to miss him while he was in boot campI went to school and acted like I could get through the day.  That lasted for about 10 minutes.  When I realized the floodgates were opening whether or not I wanted them to, I started calling subs.  I got a hold of one right after the kids showed up for class and came on home.  

So anyway, I had said that I would console myself with crafting when he left, and that's what I did.  I worked on some paper ornaments for my mother-in-law.  I'm almost through with the last two and then I'll take some pics and share them with you.  I had to take a break from that project, though, because a colleague is going through a rough patch right now, and I decided to make a "thinking of you" card for him and his wife.  

I'm sure you've seen this technique many times.  It's very popular right now.  I hope you're not sick of seeing cards like this yet, because I'm jumping on this bandwagon and wallowing all over it.  I love it!  Every card I've seen with the layers like this is just so pretty in it's own way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment