Tuesday, May 28, 2013

End of Year Cards for my Students

Just wanted to post really quick to share the ADORABLE cards I made for my students for the end of the year.  I decided to dust off the ol' Cricut Expression for this project.  I have decided that I don't use it enough and need to start exploring my cartridges to see what I can make from them.

The cards are 3.5 x 3.5 using white cardstock from Walmart.  The paper is from my stash of "ugly" papers (the papers that get set aside because no one can think of anything to do with them).  These particular papers, I am embarrassed to share, have been in the back of my van for over a year, where they were placed in a box and left there.  That box is kind of an island of misfit scrapbook papers for me.  Although, I must admit, ugly paper isn't so ugly when you find the right project for it.  :)

The hippos were cut at 2".  I used the accessories as well (puddle and grass).  The inside of the card said, "Hippo Hooray!  We've had a great year.  Have an awesome summer!"  All solid colors came from Walmart textured paper packs.  The bling is from Stampin' Up!.

 
The monkeys were also cut at 2".  The green and black are from Walmart.  The brown was from Michael's (Recollections), and the tan is Creamy Caramel (retired) from Stampin' Up!.  The inside said, "It was fun hanging out with you this year.  Have a great summer!"  
The only thing missing is a stamp or printed sentiment of some kind.  I didn't have a stamp that would work and didn't have time for printing this time around.  I'll keep that in mind for next time.  

By the way, speaking of time, one thing I learned is that when making cards with layered designs, Xyron is the way to go.  I used 2 way glue for the monkeys and it took FOREVER.  I used my 5" Xyron for the hippos and saved tons of time.

The cartridge is Create a Critter.  I love how they turned out so much that I just bought Create a Critter 2 to play with as well.  By the way, keep on the look out for my next post, which was a bulletin board for the end of the year using the Create a Critter cartridge as well.  I'm going out of town-to see Wicked in New Orleans with my best friend-but I will try to post while I'm there if we have some downtime.

I'm linking this to Use it Tuesday for their Anything Goes Challenge.  Head on over there now to see other fun projects!  :) 

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute! And you are right - "ugly" paper is only ugly until you have the perfect reason to use it! Cards for kids is often where I use mine as well. Thanks for using both your paper and machine and joining us at UIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really cute!!!! I love the idea. Thanks for playing with us at Use It Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute cards! I'm sure your students will love them!
    Thanks for playing along at Use It Tuesday.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete